|Another fruitful day at work!|
Contactsg.[firstname]@gmail.com | www.souravsengupta.com
Centre of Excellence in Cryptology
4th Floor, R.A. Fisher Bhavan, Indian Statistical Institute
203 Barrackpore Trunk Road, Kolkata - 700108, West Bengal, India.
About meI am a Researcher and I study the art and science of Cryptology.
Currently, I am affiliated as a Research Personnel with the Centre of Excellence in Cryptology at Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata, and I am looking for a suitable research and/or teaching position in India.
I have recently obtained PhD in Computer Science (Cryptology) from Indian Statistical Institute, under the supervision of Prof. Subhamoy Maitra. Prior to that, I obtained my Masters degree (M.Math.) in Pure Mathematics from University of Waterloo, Canada, in 2008, and my Bachelors degree (B.E.Tel.E.) in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering from Jadavpur University, India, in 2006. I spent a year as a Graduate student in Mathematics at University of Washington, Seattle, before joining ISI Kolkata.
ResearchMy research inclination follows two apparently diverse tracks in Cryptology:
- mathematical analysis of cryptographic primitives towards discovering their vulnerabilities, and
- efficient engineering of cryptographic designs for high performance in practice.
In addition to my primary interests in Cryptology, I am also inclined towards research topics in Number Theory that have close ties with cryptographic applications. Distribution of primes, primality testing algorithms, the factorization problem, lattice based analysis of cryptographic constructions, and topics in elliptic curve cryptography pique my interest. Time and again, I also like to explore elegant theoretical and computational problems in elementary Number Theory.
PublicationsThe following is a select list of my publications. Please feel free to check my DBLP page as well.
I will be glad to share a copy of my CV, with a complete list of publications, if you are interested.
- (Non-)Random Sequences from (Non-)Random Permutations -
Analysis of RC4 stream cipher
J. of Cryptology (2014) - S. Sen Gupta, S. Maitra, G. Paul and S. Sarkar
- High Performance Hardware Implementation for RC4 Stream
IEEE-TC (2013) - S. Sen Gupta, A. Chattopadhyay, K. Sinha, S. Maitra and B. P. Sinha
- Designing Integrated Accelerator for Stream Ciphers with
CCDS (2013) - S. Sen Gupta, A. Chattopadhyay and A. Khalid
- Counting Heron triangles with constraints
INTEGERS (2013) - P. Stanica, S. Sarkar, S. Sen Gupta, S. Maitra and N. Kar
- Dependence in IV-related bytes of RC4 key enhances
vulnerabilities in WPA
FSE 2014 - S. Sen Gupta, S. Maitra, W. Meier, G. Paul and S. Sarkar
- Attack on Broadcast RC4 Revisited
FSE 2011 - S. Maitra, G. Paul and S. Sen Gupta
- Proof of Empirical RC4 Biases and New Key Correlations
SAC 2011 - S. Sen Gupta, S. Maitra, G. Paul and S. Sarkar
- HiPAcc-LTE: An Integrated High Performance Accelerator for
3GPP LTE Stream Ciphers
INDOCRYPT 2011 - S. Sen Gupta, A. Chattopadhyay and A. Khalid
- One Byte per Clock: A Novel RC4 Hardware
INDOCRYPT 2010 - S. Sen Gupta, K. Sinha, S. Maitra and B. P. Sinha
- Partial Key Exposure Attack on RSA - Improvements for
Limited Lattice Dimensions
INDOCRYPT 2010 - S. Sarkar, S. Sen Gupta and S. Maitra
- Factoring RSA Modulus using Prime Reconstruction from
Random Known Bits
AFRICACRYPT 2010 - S. Maitra, S. Sarkar and S. Sen Gupta
- Proving TLS-attack related open biases of RC4
IACR ePrint (2013) - S. Sarkar, S. Sen Gupta, G. Paul and S. Maitra
- Analysis and Implementation of RC4 Stream Cipher
PhD Thesis (2013) - Advisor: Prof. S. Maitra, ISI Kolkata
- Artin's Conjecture - Unconditional Approach and Elliptic
MMath Thesis (2008) - Advisors: Dr. Yu-Ru Liu and Dr. Wentang Kuo, Univ. of Waterloo
TeachingTeaching is my main motivation towards academics.
I have taught several Undergraduate Mathematics course at University of Waterloo and University of Washington, both in the capacity of a Teaching Assistant and an Instructor. During my Doctoral studies at ISI Kolkata, I have taught several introductory and research-level sessions on various topics of Cryptology and allied disciplines, and have also administered a complete course on basic and advanced topics of the subject.
I am interested in teaching any topic within the domain of Cryptology and Security at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Towards offering graduate level research courses, I have a preference for areas within my own research interest - Stream Ciphers, Public Key Cryptography, and Elliptic Curve Cryptography. I am also interested in teaching any topic within the domain of Discrete Mathematics and Number Theory, especially if it is allied with practical applications towards Cryptology.
TalksDelivered over 50 invited and instructional talks in Cryptology, Mathematics and allied disciplines at various prominent venues, including - Royal Holloway, Univ. of London, UK; Univ. of Washington, Seattle, USA; Univ. of Waterloo, Canada; Indian Institute of Technology, Patna; Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata; Jadavpur Univ., Kolkata; BESU, Shibpur; Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, etc. Details to come.
Program Committees and Reviews
- Member of TPC - Indocrypt 2014
- Reviewer/Sub-reviewer for Journal of Cryptology, IEEE Trans. on Computers, CCDS, Crypto, Eurocrypt, Asiacrypt, FSE, SAC, Indocrypt, Africacrypt, ProvSec, etc.
- Member of Organizing Committee for Indocrypt 2012 and Indocrypt 2013.
- Organized several workshops and training programs in Cryptology and allied disciplines, hosted by Centre of Excellence in Cryptology, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata.
- Organized several Mathematics workshops and training programs for school students, primarily targeted towards Mathematics Olympiad, at various locations in West Bengal.
- Co-organizer of various workshops and training programs in Free and Open Source Software, at venues including - Jadavpur University, Kolkata; Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay; and Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata.
- International Association for Cryptologic Research [2012-13, 2014-15]
- Cryptology Research Society of India [Life Member]
- American Mathematical Society [2006-07, 2008-09]